Developmental Group Work and Youth Climate Justice Launch
This day will provide young people and youth work practitioners an opportunity to take part in activities, workshops and talks that will explore and understand developmental group work as one of the unique benefits and advantages of youth work practice. The context for this exploration will be the use of group work to support the engagement and activation of young people in social action in the area of youth climate justice.
Featured on the day is the Youth Climate Justice work of three Youth Work Ireland Members; Kerry Diocesan Youth Service, (KDYS), Youth Work Ireland Tipperary and Youth Work Ireland Galway. Their co-designed projects have been implemented in cooperation with South East Technological University with the aim of researching, understanding and documenting the outcomes of developmental group work.
The day seeks to:
- Equip youth workers and young people with a deeper understanding of both climate justice and group work,
- An ability to better communicate the outcomes and processes of youth climate justice and group work
- Capacity and motivation to engage in group work and climate justice.
Central to the day will be the launch and provision of a Youth Work Ireland model of practice for group work that assists us to reflect on and communicate processes and outcomes of our good practice.
- Youth Workers and young people will lead icebreakers and sample activities from their 10 week programme of work;
- Young people will share their experiences and learning from taking part developmental group work;
- Researchers from SETU will provide a model of practice and insights from research conducted with young people and youth workers;
- Project staff will lead group discussions, introduce and explore a model of practice and manual of activities;
- 11:30 Refreshments and Networking, Name Tags and Expectations
- 12:00 Programme Introduction and housekeeping
- 12:10 Icebreakers and Introductions
- 12:30 Young people sharing project experience
- 13:30 SETU sharing of developmental group work model and exploration of the model (this session will include a brief presentation by SETU, provision of models to attendees and discussion of attendees views and experiences of developmental group work).
- 14:30 Sharing of resources and practical supports
- 15:00 closing discussion and identification of next steps with attendees
More about the Youth Work Ireland Climate Justice Programme here. This project is supported by the DCEDIY Climate Justice Fund